No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea how some people are watching stuff like Contagion and Outbreak right now. How are those comforting?
    I only watch Star Treks now. I just finished Enterprise (better than I thought it would be!) and I am watching Picard (enjoyable, but not really very Star Trek-ish).

My coping activity has been to exercise compulsively. I'mma be RIPPED by summer.
    I ignored my Peloton for a week and a half and felt like crap, so this is my new quarantine goal, to really work on my body because why not? I won’t come out ripped because I am starting as a lazy chubby girl, but I can get better.

One of my neighbors dropped off cookies for me yesterday and I realized I haven’t had any desserts in the house this whole time. I seem to have reset myself into thinking that plain organic apple sauce is a dessert?? Weird times, man.

Laa - I hope your uncle will be home soon!

Comment

• Laa, hope your uncle is on the mend!

GET THAT NORDIC Issie. You deserve that shit.

Our goal is to do our best to not let anyone outside of immediate fam breathe on us until 2021.
      SAME. We've talked about it at length here. Like, we are *hoping* for a summer reprieve/die out of this shit with our only goal to go to fucking Costco once a week and just buy shit to stock up for the inevitable upswing in fall!
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• If we make it through the summer with our health intact, I am gonna push hard for that incline treadmill. It's amazing.

So, I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty emotionally reserved. Like, I feel things, but I'm not that expressive and I'm not a crier IRL. Before all this end of the world nonsense, I actually don't remember the last time I cried. But over the past month? I cry ALL the time. I've cried a few times a day probs 4/7 days every week since this all started. And my nerves are so raw, that I don't even know what my triggers are? Good stuff, HORRIBLE stuff, inspiring stuff? It all makes me cry. Mr. Issie just walks into rooms and sees me crying these days and is like "Uh...was it a good thing?"

Comment

• I’m a crier, but this ‘ness is ridiculous. I teared up during a cartoon my kid was watching because the characters got to HUG and is that even going to be a thing anymore? I read that the timeline for a vaccine is closer to five years(!) And if I even THINK about anyone working in a hospital right now I want to weep. So I feel ya.

My uncle is home! My cousin sent me photo of him with a mask and a giant pepperoni pizza. Let’s! Test! Antibodieees!

I miss Costco. Scratch that- I miss leisurely walks through Costco, not the weird, manic energy that probably hangs in the air there now.

Comment

• I have gone the opposite - I get more dead inside every day. I cried two weeks ago and haven’t since. I am developing some weird peace with this maybe? Haha, yeah it’s not that.

I am glad your uncle is home!

I don’t know about the five years - that sounds awful. But I went down a rabbit hole on therapies today, and they are definitely learning things. So I believe they will get better at treating this. I am okay with hiding at home for a while longer while they work on that I guess, because I want to live and I want all of the rest of my people to as well.

Comment

• I have been very calm and rational about the pandemic which is a shock to me and everyone else as something like this happening has been my #1 fear for about 15 years. I bought face masks, gloves and hand sanitizer online in mid January because I knew this is how this would play out. I begged my son to wear masks to uni (don't have to worry about handwashing as it is the one thing he has always been borderline OCD about) but he thought I was being crazy.

It has been very hard for me not say "Told you so" to the people who made fun of me (everyone) back in late Jan/early Feb - in fact I have said Told you so many, many times. Because I feel like I deserve something out of this crisis.

Part of the reason I am not freaking out about this is because in mid Feb my mum suffered a catastrophic spinal chord injury and has been paralysed from the neck down. Everything else, even a global pandemic, is secondary to the total devastation I feel about that. She's likely to be in hospital for the next 6 months at least and we haven't been able to visit her for nearly 4 weeks. It's been very difficult. She really couldn't have picked a worse time to have this injury

Because I work in education, my job's not in danger and I'm still working but only one week out of 3 in school. It's fine and I think it's right that schools are still open to the kids whose parents are both key workers or the families are classed as vulnerable.

I am bored rigid by lockdown but sticking to all the rules. Also getting small pleasures where I can, e.g. I made a teenager cry in the supermarket on the first day of lockdown because he didn't keep 2m distance and was only in to buy a can of fanta and some Haribo.

I have done a major Vampire Diaries rewatch over the past 3 weeks and very little else. I keep meaning to learn a new skill ... but watching TVD again feels like a better use of my time. Have also been rereading the TVD thread here - I forgot how much I posted there

Glad to see you're all surviving!

Bitter Shipper

Comment

• OMG, Linda! I'm so sorry for your mom. This is awful.
                sigpic

Comment

• I'm sorry your mom is so ill, Linda. It's so stressful not being able to see people in the hospital.

It has been very hard for me not say "Told you so" to the people who made fun of me (everyone) back in late Jan/early Feb - in fact I have said Told you so many, many times. Because I feel like I deserve something out of this crisis.
                  I had a zoom with my besties last night and we reminisced about a dinner party one of them had in February where I told everyone this was coming and was going to be very bad, and everybody thought I was being alarmist. I didn't literally say "I told you so", but they volunteered that I had in fact warned them.

Comment

• OMG Linda, I am so sorry about your mom. That's devastating. And not being able to see her and the stress of all that on top of this pandemic mess? UGH. I can barely function half the time, and I don't have anything like that to contend with.

My husband's parents live in Michigan and are mad at the lady governor for shutting so many things down so they DROVE TO FUCKING OHIO to go to a big box hardware store so they could move ahead with some home improvement projects. Mr. Is was like: Just so you know that if you "surprise" us with a visit, you can't come in, you dumb effers!

I have gone through a LOT of fee-fees about this. I'm excitable but not a crier, traditionally, if that makes sense? I'm JUST LIKE THIS in person. I go back and forth day by day. Some days I am optimistic that the full carnage that was expected hasn't exactly happened (I mean, everything is terrible but I'm a firm believer in "it can always get worse" and I expected people to die in the streets)! Then I'll read about how every state counts deaths differently and some places are too overwhelmed with work to even report (Hawaii just NOT reporting, for example). Florida doesn't count its part-time residents in its COVID fatalities! Some places only count those they bothered to test for COVID-19 and the test came back positive. And then I read this morning that a unusually large number of people are dying at home -- but we have no more information so the heart attacks and other ailments that would usually drive someone to the hospital are actually just dying at home? OR they died trying to treat the virus at home? WHO KNOWS? Will we ever know?

I'm pessimistic today, if you can't tell. Heh.

I was also slightly early on the doom train. Not as early as Linda (I approve of I TOLD YOU SOs) but I also counted on the CDC to not fuck up? And they fucked up. And an insane clown person is the president and he consistently surprises me with his horrible behavior and abject stupidity! I didn't account for how gutted the government truly was of anyone but idiot loyalists. I should have been because I read The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis just as this was all starting. By the first few days of March I went from Concerned to DEEPLY ALARMED. I was so freaked out that I didn't go out and buy anything because I didn't want to catch it. I remember debating about going to Costco the first weekend in March and was like: NOPE, it feels like I'll get it if I do that! Meanwhile, two weeks later that stores were stripped clean and I wasn't feeling so smart anymore! Heh.

Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Oh man, Linda, I'm so sorry about your mom! Hopefully, you'll be able to go see her soon. Ugh, what awful timing!

Comment

• Good Lord, Linda, you’re a fucking superhero. I’m so sorry. I cannot imagine.

Comment

• By the first few days of March I went from Concerned to DEEPLY ALARMED. I was so freaked out that I didn't go out and buy anything because I didn't want to catch it. I remember debating about going to Costco the first weekend in March and was like: NOPE, it feels like I'll get it if I do that! Meanwhile, two weeks later that stores were stripped clean and I wasn't feeling so smart anymore! Heh
                          I have real concerns about the food supply chain and so I have bought 20lbs each of rice and beans, and also signed up for a CSA so I can be sure to get fresh vegetables every week. I don't know, maybe I am being paranoid, but a little planning will make me less stressed if food starts getting scarce.

I also don't believe this will end earlier than 2021. We are in for a long period of scariness. I sure hope Biden wins.

Comment

• I would swim through a COVID-19 sewer to vote that dumb motherfucker out of office.

Comment

• I ran a low-grade fever for a day over the weekend, and not going to lie, it freaked me the fuck out. I think it was just a stomach bug because my digestive tract was not happy with me at all. I am back to 98.0 today and thank beek. I want to believe I can hold out here in my Fortress of Solitude for a few more months at least, till they have a slightly better notion of WTF to do with this virus.

I hate wearing a mask - it makes me feel claustrophobic and weird.

Comment

• My parents came over the other day and stood on our lawn in masks to watch my kid play 6ft away. It was sad and weird and my mom kept accidentally encouraging him to give her a hug or toss his ball to them. “Well, here’s that grandkid you were waiting for! So cute, right? You can’t touch him!” At least he knows and loves them. How awful it must be for grandparents who are meeting a newborn through a pane of glass. Anyway, any sadness always morphs immediately back into rage because the current administration knew about this virus in fucking NOVEMBER.

Comment

Working...
                                X