No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issie, I think healthcare workers have every right to feel like enough people are not taking this seriously, but that is not what I got from your post.

I want to be locked down till there is a vaccine or a treatment. The world doesn’t need me making software in an office until then.

Also: I miss Ophy. I hope she is still well.

Comment

• Thanks, y'all! I wondered about ophy yesterday and also hope she's feeling better. Check ins are necessary on the nono! We're actually super lucky at our house that our jobs are fairly secure, but Houston is already taking a huge hit. This city basically thrives or dies off of O&G and healthcare and both of those industries are suffering right now. I definitely get the panic that makes people think that reopening now will ensure some sort of financial safety for them, but it will be sad to see what people who have to depend on hourly wages and/or tips will actually be able to make when their companies are only allowed to service 25% of their usual customer base.

Comment

• I'm good! I'm here!

I'm ridiculously tired still. Like, I THINK I have recovered from whatever I had, but then I just get totally worn out by every little thing and I still get out of breath easy. Took a walk around the block with the kids a few days ago and had to be helped back into the house with an asthma attack, but I don't know why that is happening. I wasn't able to walk up and down our stairs without an inhaler until last week. My brain is fuzzy and blank all the time too and it feels a little broken? That might just be general pandemic brain, though. I'm guessing we've all got a bit of that.

I have zero privacy and I'm homeschooling two kids the best I can for seven or eight hours a day while mr.o works from home and also staying on top of laundry, dishes etc and we've had lots of tears and whatnot and it's been . . . I mean, good days and bad days, but overall? A WEE BIT STRESSFUL. probably not this bad if I had any physical energy whatsoever but that is just not happening yet. I've never taken this long to recover from anything before and it's annoying, but can I really complain when so many people have it way way worse? (yes I can, I can whine for days.)

literally while I was typing the above, the oboy was like, "what are you typing what is that site what are you doing" and tried to read my screen IMMA GO MAD if I don't get some time alone at some point for reals. bless his heart, he is an extrovert stuck in a house with introverts but he is ON ME all the DAMN TIME. There's no time/room for me to post stuff much even if I had anything to say.

Every time I see somebody out there in quarantine just casually picking up a new hobby or learning to bake or reading through their TBR pile or catching up on the teevee or whatever I want to tear my hair out. I don't even know what any celebs are up to! I HAVE NEVER NOT KNOWN WHAT CELEBRITIES ARE UP TO.

on the bright side, everyone in my family is healthy and the kids are doing more or less okay and we for sure have more to be grateful for than not.

I want to be locked down till there is a vaccine or a treatment.

SAME. Other than going to my doc's parking lot for testing and that one ill fated walk around the block, I did not leave my house for 44 days. Yesterday though, we had to go to the ogirl's tae kwon do belt ceremony (in a parking lot, of course! socially distancing! wearing masks!) and I was like super paranoid* the entire time, just shying away from everyone. I am so not ready to be back into the world, it all seems too scary. I feel like the idiot governors who want to open up stuff again don't understand that it's going to be a long while before most folks actually feel comfortable doing anything risky. i mean, who would want to go to a movie right now???

* I realize there's a bit of a chance I actually already had it, but we don't seem to really know much of anything about how much immunity that even means so . . .

Comment

• OPHY! I am sorry you are still recovering. This is a brutal disease that nobody should want to get (I am assuming you had it, of course).

had to be helped back into the house with an asthma attack, but I don't know why that is happening
          Do you get spring allergies? Because I have had a cough for weeks that I know is allergies/post-nasal drip related, though every time I think it is the Rona.

Check ins are necessary on the nono!
          Seriously, we need a phone tree or something. You all are important to me!

We're actually super lucky at our house that our jobs are fairly secure
          I feel super lucky as well, but also wondering when my company will decide that the directorate I am in is not the best idea right now. Someone put a snarky question about that into an all-hands two weeks ago and luckily our CEO (<3) said "Yeah, they raised their own money and are good till next year", but that doesn't mean he couldn't decide to just pause spending all that money and fire my ass. Objectively he would probably be right to do so.

Comment

• Ophy! So glad we heard from you. I hope you feel better soon. What you're going through suuuuucks.

We're officially in our getting out of quarantine phase here. If anything, it stresses me out even more than before but hopefully it turns out ok. We're doing it in phases here. First they are opening some stores but with restrictions of how many people can be in there at a time, then after a week the twelfth grade goes back to school but with less kids in a classroom and so on. The government says they will assess the results every week and if they see a spike we are back in quarantine. They count on the public to be careful! This does not comfort me at all.
            sigpic

Comment

• Issie, I think you're right that those who are closer to the healthcare community are taking this more seriously! Or if you just read the news a lot and are really informed. But beyond that about half the people I know are like: ...welllll, it's probably fine to get back to the office? And I'm like: HAHAHA, NOPE.

I hate everything about this pandemic, especially the limits it's putting on me, but I'm still staying home.

Glad you're on the mend, o! But dem kids! My cats want too much attention from me right now. I think I'd lose it with kiddos.
              Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better, o! Are you still on steroids? Sometimes they taper people too fast and staying on the higher dose a week longer can really make a huge difference with the persistent fatigue and breathing issues. And God bless you, I could NOT have my kids attached to me all day. I would have punted one of them across the house by now so you are a saint. We have absolutely abandoned any notion of screen time limits for the boys. As far as we're concerned, the screens are their interim nanny and we are cool with that. We were both children of the 80s who were regularly babysat by our TVs so we're not even trying to worry about a summer of iPad/Switch overload.

The paranoia really gets to me sometimes and I have to fight myself to not give in to it. Like I'm constantly wondering if I've wiped down our groceries carefully enough and if I don't stop brain from veering down that path, things get ugly FAST. I remind myself several times a day that if we get Covid despite all of the precautions we're taking, then we're in a super dumb Final Destination sequel and that's just life.

Comment

• Are you still on steroids?

Other than my regular asthma maintenance inhaler, the doc didn't put me on any other steroids. I did stop using the asthma meds though, because I normally do when the weather warms up. Maybe I shouldn't have? They cost like $200 per month, so I only take them a few months a year.

I'm still not sure if I should assume I've had IT or trust the test that said I didn't. My doc got some anti-body tests but a) I think they are the Not Verified By The FDA kind so might be unreliable and b) I don't think i deserve to ask for one when he already wasted a Covid test on me. The county is also doing anti-body tests starting nest week, but I don't think you can qualify for them if you've had a Covid diagnosis. In a kind of weird limbo here.

We FINALLY got the oboy a Fortnite account for after school, but if somebody doesn't play it with him, he gets bored and comes to see what I'm doing. I've begged my older (kidless!) brother to play it with him over the phone, so I think they are going to start doing that now and then. Mr.o is trying to learn how to play, too. It's pretty sad that I am actively trying to get my kid addicted to video games. I sure hope that doesn't bite me in the ass when he's ditching class in college all the time to play Hover Fortnite or whatevs the kids will be doing by then.

The ogirl is just so damn angry all the time. i mean, she's 14 so that's probs not surprising but hoo boy, surly teenager pandemic funtimes.

I had a dream last night that I had checked into a hotel and the room was UNACCEPTABLE so I demanded to see the manager and insisted on being moved to a different room and when they wouldn't do it, I called the place across the street and booked a room there but the doors were locked and I couldn't get out and I was FURIOUS. When I woke up, i felt so guilty about going full Karen in my dream and then realized it was because I had complained to y'all on here and I think I was feeling guilty about that. Although, who knows maybe we should all go full Karen and insist on speaking to Covid's manager, maybe that will get us out of here.

Comment

• I don't think i deserve to ask for one when he already wasted a Covid test on me
                    You’ve been sick for like two months, so i want to push back on this notion that medical testing was wasted on you. Those tests had a high % of false negatives. I am not telling you what to do - the antibody tests seem like half legit/half scam, depending on where you get it done - but you are deserving of medical care.

Comment

• Agree! A test was wasted on Kris Kardashian, okay? Not you, o.

I remind myself several times a day that if we get Covid despite all of the precautions we're taking, then we're in a super dumb Final Destination sequel and that's just life.
                      This is where I’m at also. Mostly fine with bouts of panic that I have to talk myself down from. If I’m expected to go back to my office next week, and there’s no way for me to stay 6ft away from people at all times, and no one else in the building is wearing a mask, they should expect me to cry at my desk pretty regularly. In a motorcycle helmet.

Comment

• If I’m expected to go back to my office next week,

oh man, is that likely? It seems crazy to me that things are opening up now at all. I hope that doesn't happen to you, beeksus.

Comment

• We are not ready to open up, and everybody knows it, and we are doing it anyway. W. T. F.

Comment

• Seconding what V said, o! Not only are you deserving of medical treatment but getting tests is how they gather data!

Also, Mr. Is listens to a few bro podcasts and one of the hosts gets tested all the time b/c he's rich and it made Mr. Is so mad he hasn't listened to it since! LOL. It's ok to use resources. It's gross to use them up look a damn Hoover.
                            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I need a calibration. A good friend lives in Florida and said I should come visit her this summer. I said I was not sure if I would want to get on a germy airplane. She said I am being phobic. Do you all think so? I get going because you have to, but I am not going to feel comfortable in recycled air for hours until there is some kind of control of this thing, and there will not be this summer as far as I can see.

Comment

• I refuse to accept the disdain for safety from anyone with a Florida address. That whole state is made up of bad decisions and that’s coming from someone who lives in Texas, albeit within a very blue island in this red state.

Comment

Working...
                                X