No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not going anywhere if that helps. No vacations this year for that reason. No way we're getting in a plane or a ship.
    sigpic

Comment

• I am not going to an office or getting on a plane if it pays for my mortgage. Otherwise, I'm staying right the fuck at home.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Okay, thank you for the voices of reason. She’s not wrong that I can be a little phobic, but her tolerance for risk is very different. This is my friend who had blood clots in her lungs (I offered to drive her to the ER but she insisted on driving herself) and two days later went on a 2 week Scandinavian cruise.

Comment

• If it helps at all, we just got a notice from our executive committee that all employees who are working from home right now are at least 60 days from returning to the office. They made the decision after seeing the projections over the weekend. I take that to mean that if we can't return to work full time yet, we shouldn't be traveling either. We have tickets to go to Colorado in mid-July but are most likely going to cancel and drive instead or just postpone the trip altogether. My family's still trying to figure it out. It's the boys favorite vacation every year since they get to be on a property with all their cousins for like 10 days, but these seem like small sacrifices compared to the bigger picture.

Comment

• My company canceled all work travel through the end of August, at least.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Colorado in mid-July sounds lovely; all sunny and dry.

My company is very dependent on people traveling and in general going to their offices and out to dinner/drinks, and we are going to be having a big layoff soon, so we’ll see if I am still lucky enough to be employed in two weeks.

Comment

• Well, my aunt forwarded the conspiracy-fest faux doc to my entire family the other day. My friend got it from her surgeon father. How are so many educated people so susceptible to above-average production value and propaganda tactics from a middle school communications class? The video claims wearing a mask and washing your hands INCREASES the risk of infection. Isn’t that enough of a red flag to cast doubt on the whole fucking thing? How about if it’s reposted by a YouTube account called Vaccine Wars? I know it’s important to push back, but I barely have the energy to eat right now.

Starting Tuesday, people will be free to go back to our office building, but we’re also free to stay home for another month. Good luck to them. I’mma continue being productive without getting breathed on.

Comment

• I didn't push back on anyone who shared that. They won't believe you anyway.

The president is actively working to kill people and the longer he hammers on reopening without doing anything to mitigate the virus? The more people will join him as the idea will gain traction. He's doing literally nothing to create the conditions to make it safe to "reopen the economy"! He's squandered months now, sidelined experts, bungled the entire response and used this as a way to get lots of ego gratification from press conferences. He specifically refuses to do anything because then he can just blame governors either way. I fucking hate him so much. He's just such a shitty, dumb, lazy asshole. We're completely fucked as a country.

I'm basically despondent about this whole thing. There's no nationwide plan and there will be no plan while this terrible asshole is president. Truly, the only thing Americans can do is try to protect themselves and their families. Mr. Is and I have basically agreed to keep this up for months and go back to work if we have to but to try to be vigilant until there's a real treatment for this shit.

I also think, increasingly, that since those who are currently least likely to get sick -- the middle and upper classes who get to work from home and largely isolate in comfort with plenty of personal space in suburban homes -- are taking note of who is sick and who is dying. And, frankly, it's not people they care about it any real way. So the elderly are dropping like flies in nursing homes (my co-worker's grandma was just taken from a home to the hospital this weekend with COVID symptoms), people in prisons (a friend of mine from high school who was in prison died of it last Sunday night), immigrants in really shitty jobs (like the meatpackers) and the working poor who are often minorities that share homes with parents and grandparents (like the overwhelming number of people dying in Detroit who are black and poor).

What this means to me is that the wealthy will certainly NOT stand for being stuck inside (and losing money!!) because prisoners, "nearly dead" grandmothers, and meat packers and poor minorities are dying. I'm guessing that means those upper class folks will get lax soon and stay that way until it affects them and their families (but it will be less deadly as they already have better healthcare outcomes due to economics and food security/quality).

ETA: And those wealthy voices are way more important than the redneck voices we've seen protesting so far.
                  Last edited by isadora; 05-10-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• How's everyone doing? Is anyone venturing out yet? We've gotten take out a couple of times, but haven't eaten at a restaurant yet. Work encouraged us to use our PTO if we could and Mr. Issie can work from anywhere so we packed up the kids this weekend and are at the lake, just for a change of scenery. Mr. T's officially done with school work even though his school year is supposed to last one more week. The boys' faces when we told them we were gonna leave the house for a little while was kind of heartbreaking, but since we got here, they've been like their old selves which is awesome.

Comment

• I have not been venturing much. I go for drives, but I am not sitting inside a restaurant. Maybe al fresco, once the weather stops being crazy here. Most people I know are still huddling at home regardless of what Trump wants us to do. I still haven't gone grocery shopping, but I don't miss that. For me delivery is so much better.

Comment

• A doc friend sent me a link with info on viral load that I’ve wanted to know since the start of this madness, so I’ll maybe be okay with sitting outside at a restaurant, but that’s about it. The Mr.’s sister’s indoor wedding that we’re both in has been rescheduled for July and I’m silently still so nervous about it.

Issie, I’m so glad you guys could escape for a while! You deserve it.

I’m officially WFH forever! I went to my office to gather mostly decorative things and my little desk plant. Part of the WFH dream was always to be able to change my scenery and sit at cute local cafes, but we’re trying to makeover our deck this summer and I can make my own coffee.

Comment

• Yay for WFH forever!

I am not sure an indoor wedding in July will be a good idea, but maybe they can work the seating and open a bunch of windows?

Comment

• We have done takeout a few times now without incident. The latest CDC guidelines suggest that surface to surface transmission is not too worrying. It's other human beings that are the problem.

I'm not interesting in dining inside and that weather in Chicago has been a straight-up shitshow since March so everything has conspired to keep us inside. We had the wettest May on record. It rains every day. My yard is basically a swamp. SO, if the weather ever improves, I'd be into dining in. But since I'm not as stressed about takeout containers, I'm also solid with eating takeout at home forever.

Do we think there will be a second, deadlier wave in the fall? That's what I'm super worried about currently.

Comment

• I don’t know if you can call it a second wave, but I am concerned that Memorial Day Weekend is a free-for-all in a bunch of places and coronavirus is going to explode in a few weeks. Fox News viewers are basically gathering in large groups in defiance, and even reasonable people are bored and getting together in smaller groups. I am concerned that this is going to get real ugly.

Comment

• In Scotland we're still on lockdown, only allowed out to shop for food and exercise. Can't sit in a park, can't meet up with those outwith our own households even outside, shouldn't travel more than 2miles unless for essential work. The restrictions are due to ease on Thursday (slightly) - then we can travel up to 5 miles and meet with someone (just one person) outside.

If I have to read anything else about Dominic Cummings again, I may very well gouge out my eyes.

Bitter Shipper

Comment

Working...
                                X