No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to preface this by saying of course I’m grateful to be comfortable right now and my life in general is lovely...but quarantined birthday bites. It’s the exact same mundane shit as all the other Groundhog Days but with bonus PMS, all-day rain, and the extra sting of people asking me if I’m doing anything special. Huh? I don’t want to keep saying “Ramen and five loads of laundry” and I’m sure no one wants to hear it.

Comment

• Oh, Laa! The oboy had his 11th birthday in lockdown and is very very very insistent that "it didn't count" and he "needs a do-over". So I think you should get one, too.

In Scotland we're still on lockdown, only allowed out to shop for food and exercise. Can't sit in a park, can't meet up with those outwith our own households even outside, shouldn't travel more than 2miles unless for essential work. The restrictions are due to ease on Thursday (slightly) - then we can travel up to 5 miles and meet with someone (just one person) outside.

. . . yeah, our restrictions are nowhere near that strict and we are all being giant whiny babies about it. 'MURICA.

Comment

• Gah! Quarantine birthday sucks. I feel you Laa.

During the strictest phase of our lockdown we had to actually text the police to state where we are going. That lasted about a month or so. It worked, though. Most people stayed in.

Now almost everything is open. Elementary schools are going to open next week for a month but they are dividing the students and they'll attend day after day just as they did with high schools. We still have very few new cases a day with everything opening gradually so hopefully the measures are working. Everyone is requested to wear masks and we still wash everything we buy and hope for the best.
        sigpic

Comment

• Laa, you have every right in the world to feel down about your birthday. This whole thing blows in ways both big and small, and we are allowed to hate the small things as much as the big ones.

I went to the grocery store the other day for the first time in months, because I was on my last roll of TP. They came through for me with a package of Quilted Northern. In my city neighborhood that is very racially diverse, there was no Karening about the masks; everybody had them on and was respecting each others' personal space bubble. It was easier than I expected it would be, but I am still spoiled by delivery now and don't want to go back to having to do it all myself.

Comment

• We had to back out of my SIL’s wedding party today. The Mr. is still attending the ceremony because it’s outside in July, but unless we get a childcare we can trust between now and then, I have to watch the kiddo. Either way, we can’t commit to taking bridesmaid/groomsmen pics and cheersing champagne without having crippling anxiety about potentially dying or infecting others. Apparently we’re the only ones in 100+ guests who have backed out so far and I feel like complete dogshit.

My posts have been pure fucking sunshine, eh?

Comment

• Uh, that sucks, Laa. I hope no one gives you a hard time about it. After seeing pictures of people at Lake of the Ozarks and floating on the Guadalupe over Memorial Day weekend, I just don't trust anyone's judgement. It feels like everyone ignoring social distancing is dumb, selfish, and dirty.

Comment

• Oh, that's tough. I can NOT BELIEVE how cavalier everyone is? Nobody gives a shit about their parents/grandparents, I guess? I think that despite the 100k deaths, Americans don't care until it affects them. So they are just gonna be dicks until everybody knows somebody who died from it. We're an insane culture.

Our state is easing lockdowns today and outdoor dining has started everywhere but Chicago proper. And people in local FB groups are on fire to go to the public pools (!) and sit on crowded streets to eat.

I am bored out of my mind, sick of hanging out with just my husband (no offense to him; I've always been kind of a free agent type) and all the other frustrations, but I also think it just makes sense to fucking chill out and take reentry slowly.
                Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I think that despite the 100k deaths
                  And climbing. But Fox news has the MAGA crowd convinced that these numbers are cooked and it's so grossly irresponsible. I read a thread on FB the other day that had a bunch of people (some of whom are in the medical field) talking about how just because someone died with Covid, doesn't mean they died of Covid and I was like "??????????????????????????" I've never wanted to spam a thread with so many side eye gifs in my life. Firstly, it's widely accepted among epidemiologists that the numbers are actually lower then what's being reported partly because when this first started, people were dying before they could be tested. Secondly, if someone died in a car wreck and happened to have Covid, fine, they died of their car wreck injuries, but the rarity of those occurrences would not move the numbers much at all. What people are talking about is someone dying of a stroke from severe hypertension or a heart attack and they also had Covid so their cause of death is listed as Covid. OK, HERE WE FUCKING GO, LESBIANS. The cascade effect that Covid causes INCLUDES shit like strokes and heart attacks (not to even mention that hydroxychloroquine has SEVERE risk of fucking cardiotoxicities) so we can't rule out Covid as a cause of death if someone died with it and happened to have a heart attack, you dumb fucks who somehow made it out of nursing school or med school or dental school despite being so fucking stupid. Shit has me HEATED.
                  Last edited by IssieCol; 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• I got into a discussion on FB the other day for no good reason with my crazy neighbor who loves QAnon and is convinced China created the virus (or maybe Bill Gates did?) and of course she believes the numbers are being juked. I worked from the excess death place with her to try to show how many more people died so far this year than in usual years. But that sort of math and facts just don’t fly with these idiots.

I am sorry, Laa.

So they are just gonna be dicks until everybody knows somebody who died from it. We're an insane culture.
                    It feels like it’s half insane, like there are a bunch of us who are taking this seriously, but we are surrounded by a whole bunch of very loud idiots who want to cull the herd.

Aside from the fact that I can’t go on (honestly, mostly bad) blind dates and possibly have sex (honestly again, this is mostly theoretical), I am actually thriving in this quarantine. I am eating so healthy, I exercise every day, I am enriching myself with hobbies, and I sleep like a log. My therapist is so proud of me.

Comment

• Good for you, v! You are a unicorn.

I don’t want to make my SIL sound like a callous idiot, because she’s one of my favorite people in this mostly ugly world. I do think that the pressure of the $ dropped plus not being able to align all the vendors again make her feel like she’s got to do this the same way, on the same day, no matter what. The little dude and I will roll up outside the venue the day of and imma craft a VERY embarrassing sign, but I just can’t risk anyone’s life to dance to “Shout” with anyone who was maybe playing floatie beer pong at Backwater Jack’s in the Ozarks. She accepts that, and she accepts that she may have 100 people or 30 people at this wedding (Hell, if there are 30, we’ll all go! That’s 15 inside and 15 outside!) We’re just the freshest heartbreak on top of a mountain of heartbreaks.

The cascade effect that Covid causes INCLUDES shit like strokes and heart attacks (not to even mention that hydroxychloroquine has SEVERE risk of fucking cardiotoxicities) so we can't rule out Covid as a cause of death if someone died with it and happened to have a heart attack, you dumb fucks who somehow made it out of nursing school or med school or dental school despite being so fucking stupid. Shit has me HEATED.
                      Yes! This thing is what? 7 months old or something? We don’t yet know about all the long-term effects of the most potent version of a virus that’s brand new to humankind. The discovery of blood coagulating in a stranger way than usual is terrifying, man! But the fact that people in this country could turn school shootings into bonkers political conspiracy theories made me numb and beyond depressed. Now it all just tracks.

So they are just gonna be dicks until everybody knows somebody who died from it.
                      YEP x10000. I’m lucky enough to live in an area where distancing and masks are still a thing even after reopening, but I don't think it’s the severity of the virus that has most people following protocol here. It’s living in the most painfully polite part of the Midwest that probably makes everyone feel more obligated. I’m okay with that.

Comment

• Good for you, v! You are a unicorn.
                        Well it’s a good thing I had some good weeks, because today was sad and lonely and depressing and all I hear now are sirens and helicopters from the riot so add in scared. I hear this is called the “Quaran-coaster” where you wake up every day with a different mood unrelated to yesterday.

This thing is what? 7 months old or something?
                        This is the thing that kills me about idiots saying “well you said we needed respirators and now you say we don’t” and “you said we didn’t need masks and now you say we do” - yeah, fool, because that’s how science works. We learn more and we change based on that. We evolve, so to speak.
                        Last edited by vanessa; 05-31-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• I 100% support the BLM protestors, but I am terrified for their health! There's no way that mass gatherings and mass arrests! aren't going to lead to another big wave in a week or so and that's got me fretting for them and for the hospital capacities. Also, it's pretty clear that MAGA jerks are going to exploit this to turn out the racist base in November, so that's got me terrified too.

I literally cannot turn this anxiety off, y'all. It just seems like so many disasters are barreling at us and there is no good news, ever.

Comment

• The racist base was always going to turn out, though. My worry is that seniors who are so susceptible to what the news (on both sides) is focusing on - the property damage, looting, and the cops who kneeled in solidarity right before tear gas and rubber bullets - will end up voting for Trump again. For so long, they’ve been so comfortable with his gross definition of law & order.

I haven’t been in a retail store or restaurant since March, so yes, I’m also hella scared all the protestors marching and chanting shoulder-to-shoulder are bring it to communities that have already been ravaged.

Comment

• Also, it's pretty clear that MAGA jerks are going to exploit this to turn out the racist base in November, so that's got me terrified too.
                              That crew was gonna show up anyway. They know how much he's hated and see that the pandemic has people blaming him for our economic collapse. There's no way they're not gonna vote. I'm always more worried that young people will get distracted by the next controversy and not turn out to vote, but there's actually a good chance that the fallout from George Floyd's murder will last through the fall and stay in the news enough to keep people eager to play their part in the election.

Comment

• Well, here things are still getting better guys. We've had less than ten cases a day for almost two weeks now, so things are getting back to (somewhat) normal. Schools have devided the number of pupils and half go to classes one day and the other half the next. Me and mr dada wipe everything before we sit or touch and we've decided we're not going to restaurants soon but we did go out for coffee / drinks (easier to clean). We still wash everything when we go out to the grossery store and we try to go only once in ten days. These are still the most crowded places here. The weather helps now so even though people are outside a lot, they are not crowded in a room so it's actually easy to keep social distancy. When we got out for drinks, our table was more than two feet away from other tables. We have stopped being distand from some people, though. We don't kiss or hug but we do stand less than two feet away from some friends and family without masks. I hope that works.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X