No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanessa - I hear you on the touch-starved thing. I've been single for ages, my family isn't physically demonstrative, and I'm mostly a solitary person. But sometimes you just need contact. And these past few months have been strange. A few weeks ago the cat crawled on my lap when I was watching a movie - he snuggled up, and then gave me head bumps and paw massages. It was the first time since my surgery that he's willingly cuddled up to me and I got kind of teary eyed when I realized it. Last year he used to snuggle up to me after chemo or lay on my bed after radiation but hasn't been affectionate since. And I didn't realize how much I missed it until then.

Comment

• Oh man, you guys. I wish I could hug y'all SO FUCKING HARD right now.

This pandemic is such an intensifier. If there was any friction point in our lives before (people always around us, people never around us, depression, anxiety, loneliness, overwhelm-iness etc), the pandemic blows it up tenfold into a major THING, with no way to know if/when the tunnel is going to open back up into light. It's no wonder all of our mental health is getting shaky!

And of course things just keep getting weirder and stupider in the world, which doesn't help. We don't even know what happened to the murder hornets, I guess it got too weird for them to even want to see their sub-plot all the way through, and I don't blame them a bit.

Comment

• My life is as calm as it could be and I'm still a fucking mess, so I don't even know how I'd be coping if I had extra/aggravating factors. I'm just tired and lonely and frustrated and dreading winter if not outright afraid of it.
        Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• It was the first time since my surgery that he's willingly cuddled up to me and I got kind of teary eyed when I realized it.
          Awww, I am lucky that one of my cats is always super affectionate, and the other is when he wants a meal. Of course my boy cat had an adventure this weekend and tore his CCL (like humans’ ACL), so he is currently confined to a cage for his own safety, and hating his life. Take a number Mookie, we’re all pretty confined at the moment.

dreading winter if not outright afraid of it
          I feel torn on this. On the one hand winter might make everyone stay home and behave, but flu season may be horrible. So it has potential in both directions. At least now we can get outside and have some sun to make us feel a little better.
          Last edited by vanessa; 07-07-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Brought over from the celebrity topic because...

And aneuryms are legit a paranoia of mine when I swim alone
            I’ve told you all I had a brain aneurysm once, right? No lie, I was on the phone with my PCP today asking advice about migraines and he told me that I have every right to be a hypochondriac about headaches. My therapist tells me the same thing.

The whole thing was because the other way that lockdown sucks is that all of this screen time, all of these beekdamned zoom calls I am on have me migraining, again, aura and all, just like when I was menopausing. It’s absolutely eye strain and it’s gotten old. My eye doctor told me when I got new glasses a month ago that he is seeing it from everyone.
            Last edited by vanessa; 07-09-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• I’ve told you all I had a brain aneurysm once, right? No lie, I was on the phone with my PCP today asking advice about migraines and he told me that I have every right to be a hypochondriac about headaches.

It's not hypochondria if your brain is actually trying to kill you, yikes, v!

Y'all remember that mystery virus I had back in March? Well, my new doc did a bunch of antibody tests to figure out why I still feel so crappy/fatigued/out of breath and it turns out I had Mono -- and I STILL have it. I'm not contagious anymore, but I've been fighting an active Epstein Barr virus in my system for 4 freaking months. Somehow I managed to not get mono until my forties, so weird. And the worst timing evah, since it convinced me I was dying of C-19 for weeks. (antibody tests confirmed that my original Covid test was correct . . . I've never had Covid). Blood tests also showed liver damage, but the doc says that should repair itself when I finally get the EBV to deactivate. EBV never leaves your body, I guess? It just goes dormant (hopefully).

I'm assuming the fact that I'm currently battling one virus would make me extra susceptible to another virus, right?

So . . . never leaving the house again!

ETA EBV can also cause anxiety spikes/panic attacks/mental fog/memory issues which explains so much! I don't just have pandemic brain, I also have dumb virus brain. I am weirdly relieved about this.
              Last edited by ophy; 07-14-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• It is so good to have a diagnosis! To me it makes sense to be relieved over that.

Comment

• Oh, my God ophy! I hope now that they know what you have you'll be able to get better. Sooo weird.

Vanessa I didn't know you had an aneurysm. You are right. I'd be super careful too.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Holy shit! And it causes anxiety spikes and that panic attacks on top of everything else!? I’m so glad you know for sure what’s up.

Comment

Working...
                    X