No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has work actually changed to be worse or is it just the suck of 2020 making it worse?

Your pictures of those reels on insta give me joy. I am considering buying my own View-Master.

Comment

• V, I will happily send you a starter kit! I have soooo many extra viewers it's BONKERS. LOL.
      Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I was talking to some people at work and describing how I’ve been so annoyed with myself the past couple of months because I feel like I’m just in an unproductive rut. Like I’m both so busy, but also completely unmotivated and some days I just stare at my computer in a complete daze. And on top of that, I feel weirdly useless even though I’m responsible for like a lot of stuff both at work and in my regular life. Two people straight up told me I had mild depression due to Covid/the world being on fire. I told my one friend that I’m not normally very emotional but that these days, I just randomly burst into tears over nothing and she was like, “Yeah, that’s depression sister, go sign up for therapy and maybe start yoga.”

I mean, obvs, I’m not thrilled about any of that, but it feels good to know there’s a reason I’m feeling this way, I guess?

Comment

• It's perfectly normal to be upset and emotional right now. Only people who are in the Trump cult are not (and they're mental in a different way, heh).

I have struggled to do more than work for the entire year. I have felt exhausted for months. I feel guilty that I haven't done cool stuff to my house since I'm here 24/7. I feel extra mad at everything, no matter how small, for work. I just feel super intense about everything right now and I hate it. I'm usually pretty level and not particularly emotional either.

All that is to say: Do what you have to take care of yourself. I've just recently started really paying attention to my needs and giving myself a lot of slack but also giving myself a lot of credit for what I'm able to get done.

This fucking administration has got to end. We need some boring back in our lives. We need qualified people to fight this pandemic and implement policies that make sense and couple it with some federal financial backing. We need to restore the basics of our democracy.

I truly feel like I'm gonna lose my mind if he's reelected. I don't see a path forward with this insane incompetence and corruption running unabated.
          Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• I mean, obvs, I’m not thrilled about any of that, but it feels good to know there’s a reason I’m feeling this way, I guess?
            It’s good to know, I think. You can make an action plan now, if you feel up to it. And know that you’re not alone; everybody except the psychopaths is a little depressed at the moment, as Is says.

I just feel super intense about everything right now
            When I told my then-boss I was getting divorced he gave me some advice that was basically know that for the next year or so, your emotion level is going to be unstable. Like the water table had risen. And he was right. I think it’s the same thing here. We are all nerve endings, and the base level of anxiety and sadness and whatever that we feel has been raised.

We’re all doing the best that we can, and hopefully that will be enough.

Comment

• Everything you guys said. Mild depression is the norm. My body is so mad and tired, and my emotions waffle from numb to crying. Oh, and the insomnia is on another level, even when I take a break from doom scrolling.

Comment

• I recently started taking CBD oil because I read some promising studies about how it increases blood flow to the brain and there's several weird reasons that might be beneficial but I gotta say that I AM SLEEPING LIKE A BABY. My head hits the pillow and I sleep *hard* for 6.5 hours each night -- I was sleeping longer before but waking up over and over and over all night and feeling tired all the time. I take a half dropper of CBD in the evening when I'm winding down. I genuinely assumed it was a scam as every dumb person I know thinks it cures everything from cramps and cancer. I'm not noticing any other major improvements but sleep alone is HUGE because I feel sharper, less groggy, genuinely borderline refreshed when I wake up. It's impressive. LOL

Comment

• Interesting. I had always assumed that was just a scam. Weed makes me panicky, so I wonder what it would do in my crazy body.

Comment

• I've learned a bit about it -- and it's WAY overly complicated like everything involving weed. I've always said that if people who were into cannabis could just harness that enthusiasm for anything useful we'd cure cancer and solve society's ills in about 4 hours.

Anyway, there are two kinds of CBD oil (at least): Broad Spectrum and Full Spectrum. Full has trace amounts of THC so if you have really strong reactions to THC, maybe take broad spectrum instead? But, it appears that CBD oil is a common way people manage anxiety when having trouble with RX drugs. At least from the reading I've done.

I assumed it was bullshit, but It's making me sleep so hard that I haven't been taking it during the day because I feel pretty clear headed overall. NOTE: I did take some today as an experiment and it seemed to make me a bit more clear headed? I've been struggling with weird issues since my hysterectomy related to memory and focus. I've tried tons of supplements. It could be that I had some post-surgical syndrome (It's a thing, long story) and my body may be just fully recovering from it? I dunno. But given the shocking (positive) shift in sleeping habits I've experienced in the past week and only on the days I took this in teh hour before bed, it's hard to ignore this (anecdotal) evidence.

I bought this kind: https://www.thecbdistillery.com/prod...-fullspectrum/

Comment

• I read that you can get THC-free CBD oil, but it’s a waste of money - you need the tag team to be effective. For what it’s worth, edibles makes me feel fluish and paranoid, but I got a free bottle of oil a few months ago, and half a drop in some herbal tea just helped my mind shut off. I also have CBD lotion I got on sale and I swear that shit works on my (non)muscles, so I might be a dummy.

Comment

• I started using THC edibles about 4 months into my cancer treatment. I do have the odd smoke but as I have asthma I don't indulge often. Edibles work for me - they really help with the neuropathy pain in my feet (now it is down to a mild tingling with occasional shooting pain in my toes, but very mild compared to this time last year). Today I had an appointment with my oncologist - she thinks the surgery has healed beautifully. I have slight side-boobs/fat but since it would be considered cosmetic surgery to remove - they stay until I win the lottery or something.
                        A note about the edibles - - I get mine from an 'illegal' dispensary on a local first nation territory. I can get baked goods: shortbread or choc chip cookies, rice krispy treats, brownies, ding dongs or ho hos. Candy: toffee, choc bars, gummies, jolly ranchers, nerds. Drinks: tea, apple cider mix, hot choc mix. A legal dispensary down the street sells gummies in a pack of 5, with 2g of THC per gummy for $20. Gummies from the illegal dispensary - $25 for a 7 pack, at 60g THC per gummy (at that point I was cutting each into quarters). I was in CA over Christmas and my nephew gave me some of his - 5g THC - - and I felt so sorry for him. Like, dude, let me set you up. And OMG - the smoke! My sister got a few blunts at a legal place: $4 per, 4g of THC. On the rez? A pre-roll is $5 but THC is anywhere from 18 - 28%. When I do buy I usually get a quarter for $50, with 25+% of THC.

Now I'm thinking of CBD for the mental fog issues - - I've sort of hit a wall with this whole pandemic. I don't think I'm depressed . . . but maybe? So we'll see how that goes. I'm sort of wary about it because my boss was a big fan of CBD. She was a "cancer survivor." I later learned that when she was diagnosed she started Western treatment - even had surgery. But then dropped that for CBD and was "cured." Around November she started missing work. Then took a leave. She died in January. (I've done a mix of Western treatment, with traditional stuff like chagga teas, cedar baths, smudging, sweats, etc. With Western treatments my cancer has a 93% survival rate - - which is almost 95% - - which is practically 100% - - which is why I opted for that. I used traditional for my own mental health - I just needed something soothing to offset the poisons that were being pumped into me.)

I started back to work - office hours on M & F, WFH on Tue, Wed, & Thurs. Unfortunately my contract ends in a few weeks and because of the pandemic I don't think it will be renewed. Which sucks - hopefully something else will pop up.

Comment

• Unfortunately my contract ends in a few weeks and because of the pandemic I don't think it will be renewed. Which sucks - hopefully something else will pop up.

Oh, Res! I do hope something comes along for you soon.

My physical therapist had me do CBD for my back and neck pain, but I never found any that worked for me. My older bro who has back issues more severe than mine swears by it and got me the good stuff, but nada. Tried oils, lotions, gummies for several months . . . nothing made any difference. Didn't help with my sleep either, but my doc put me on Alpha Theta Ultra PM supplements, which did the trick sleep-wide. Better than Ambien for me, no joke.

The only things that helps with my muscle and joint pains (including my new knee arthritis which just popped up this month, yay!) is exercising and doing stretches in warm water. I just started doing that, though, so I don't know if the benefits will be long term. I would much rather just eat a brownie!

Comment

• So, I think the jury is pretty much out on pain management. I think it very much depends on where your pain is coming from and why. Honestly, the jury is still out on all this business. LOL.

But this got my attention given the brain fog I've been living with since having cervical cancer and a hysterectomy: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/aug/...ns-hippocampus
                            CBD significantly increased blood flow in the hippocampus, however CBD did not cause significant differences in blood flow in other regions of the medial temporal lobe (MTL), of which the hippocampus is a significant component.
                            In the prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain used for planning and decision making, CBD caused a significant increase in blood flow in the orbitofrontal cortex.
                            Dr Bloomfield added: “To our knowledge, this is the first study to find that CBD increases blood flow to key regions involved in memory processing, particularly the hippocampus.
                            “This supports the view that CBD has region-specific blood flow effects in the human brain, which has previously been disputed.
                            “If replicated, these results could lead to further research across a range of conditions characterised by changes in how the brain processes memories, including Alzheimer’s disease, where there are defects in the control of blood control flow, along with schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorder.”
                            One of the challenges is that they were using a much higher dose than is affordable/available. So they were giving 600mg in this study and I bought the highest concentration I could find... at 33mg per serving. CBD is stupid expensive for what you get and the purer the dose the pricier.

Comment

• Well - THC is good for pain management for me - - but it is probably psychological more than anything. The past few months I've been stocking up on gummies and smokes. I've got an insulated lunch box full of stuff for whenever we go into lockdown again.

Last week I had a check-in with my oncologist - - follow up and clinical trial stuff. I was talking to the nurse about brain fog and we had a good laugh over some of the silly stuff we've done. When the doctor came in she asked me about it and had a laugh with me. Then she said, ". . . but we had better do a CAT scan just in case you've developed brain cancer." Fuck. It was done on Saturday morning, just waiting on the results.

Comment

• OMG, Res. I am sure they just wanted to be extra careful. It sucks, though. *hugs*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X