No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, wow, I don't know! Usually antibiotics kick in pretty fast with me. But I also have stupidly strong reactions to drugs. I'm real susceptible to drugs, I guess? Heh.
    Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• Actually, my experience is that antibiotics take away the symptoms almost immediately and you just keep on taking them even if you feel fine so they can kill all the germs, but my symptoms were always pain related.Ear infections are the worst and very difficult to cure if I reember correctly, and also if they induce vertigo, it might be a vicious circle because vertigo is also stress related and it can continue after all the physical issues are gone, I.e. you're so stressed out because of your vertigo that you get vertigo.
      sigpic

Comment

• O, I hope you get to disembark soon! That is just too annoying. And I can’t believe your doctor took a random Tuesday off.

Comment

• How are you feeling Ophy?

One of my closest friends got her vaccine today by just scheduling on the pharmacy website. Nobody asked for proof of eligibility or anything. She is high risk so I don't begrudge her the vaccine, but I am sure plenty of people are cheating the system. Maybe they will contribute to herd immunity anyway and I shouldn't care, but I am prepared to play by the rules and it makes me angry that others aren't.

Comment

• Oh, once healthcare workers got theirs, I noticed everyone starting to get theirs. Some people are being secretive about it. But it's allllll upper middle class and wealthy types and but not a single working class person I know (retail and other "essential" workers) has gotten it. I knew this would happen.

In my company of 14 people, two people have already gotten it. One lives in Georgia and just turned 65 (aight) and the other works at home full time and always has! He's keeping it a secret he got it. Two others are going to spend a month in Florida, and I would bet money they come back vaccinated.
            Itís just really honestly so tiring and emotionally draining to have to get upset over reality constantly.

Comment

• But it's allllll upper middle class and wealthy types and but not a single working class person I know
              Yes, what I see are tech nerds who honed their skills getting Comi-Con tickets are working the pharmacy sites to get appointments (I am so over working in tech, reason #9million). All rich white people of course. Working class people probably don’t have time to sit and hit refresh nine million times till they get a slot.

Comment

• How are you feeling Ophy?

I am still boaty! And I'm still hating it!

Antibiotics didn't do jackshit for me (well, nothing good, anyway) so I'm getting a referral to an ENT.

But hey, I did find out that I did NOT have covid last month. My first guess was right, it was related to a spike in my EBV (mono) numbers, apparently. They shot way up, dunno why. It apparently doesn't happen often. Since I'm coming up on 11 months of an active infection, I've got to start anti-virals tomorrow (I think it's the same stuff they give people for herpes, actually?)

The vaccine stuff is puzzling to me because every state is so different. All of my elderly in-law family members (70 and up) have been vaccinated here in this state and are already going to be getting their second shot this week, but my parents can't seem to find even find a first shot in their state. They are eligible but can't get through on the phone to make an appointment. My dad was told he could show up at 4AM to a certain location and wait there all day to try his luck, but he's not in good health (COPD) and it's been way too cold and icy to put his lungs through that. My mom is 73 and is still doing cancer treatments, but can't find a shot anywhere. In that same state, my brother and SIL have both had their first and second shots, but they work directly with elderly patients in healthcare, so that makes sense to me.

I assume it'll be November before me and mr.o can get one, probably? My doc just shrugged when I asked. She's heard nothing about the under 60 yr olds, which is fine and understandable.

Comment

• I am glad you are going to an ENT. And I am getting whiplash from your covid positive, not positive testing.

he's heard nothing about the under 60 yr olds, which is fine and understandable.
                  This is why it is weird, because in PA, group 1A includes people under 65 with pre-existing conditions, which is how my friend qualifies. In the absence of federal leadership, everybody is doing something different. It's ridiculous and wasteful

Comment

• I never tested positive! My doc and the nurse at the office were the ones who said they were sure I'd had it, but I wasn't totally* convinced by them. Stoooopid mono tricked us all twice in one year. I really chose the absolute dumbest time to be dealing with a virus that isn't the one causing a major pandemic. Why couldn't the mono have waited until 2022, that bastard.

* like maybe 60/40 that they were right and the negative DIY swab C-19 test was trash, but it still seemed weird to me that I never developed a cough? So my initial instincts were right and they were wrong. But their certainty confused me!

People can schedule them online in PA? I think it's only via phone here right now. (And not through pharmacies at all yet.) So tech peeps don't have an advantage yet, but I'm sure an online portal will come eventually that will change that.

This is why it is weird, because in PA, group 1A includes people under 65 with pre-existing conditions, which is how my friend qualifies.

In this state, only Group 1 and 2 are eligible for vaccines right now:

Group 1: health care workers
                    Group 2: Over 65 only

Rest of the groups:

Group 3: Frontline essential (teachers, meat packers, grocery store workers, PPE manufacturing, postal workers, police, etc.)
                    Group 4: age 16- 64 with major health risks (cancer, COPD, diabetes, heart conditions, etc.)
                    Group 5: everybody else <--------- that's me

So your friend, v, wouldn't be eligible until Group 4, I guess? if she lived here. They are saying it will take a couple of months to get through the rest of Group 2, and that Group 5 alone will also take several months to get through because it's the biggest. So . . . I'll be lucky to get vaccinated before Xmas unless the Biden administration really pulls though with vaccine production/distribution soon.

Comment

• People can schedule them online in PA? I think it's only via phone here right now. (And not through pharmacies at all yet.) So tech peeps don't have an advantage yet, but I'm sure an online portal will come eventually that will change that.
                      Yes, in this hodge-podge distributed fashion. Every pharmacy has its own system, to include the grocery store pharmacies. My understanding is that Philadelphia County has its own system so maybe they are centralizing things, but it's all independent and thus wild here now.

I am group back of the line, so it'll be a while for me too. That's okay. I can hide here in the house like I have been. I actually think things are going to pick up significantly at some point so I doubt it will take to Christmas.

Comment

• Oh, in Illinois -- my county in particular -- I heard today that it will take them 12 weeks to finish vaccinated people over 65 at the current rate. At this point, I'll be lucky to get vaccinated this year at all.

Comment

• My state sucks in every way. My dad is nearly 80 and still waiting “for the next shipment,” yet we know perfectly healthy, retired 60-year-olds that have mysteriously gotten their vaccines already.

New $30 at-home tests are on their way. Results in 15 minutes. Like a pregnancy test for your nose.

Comment

• I have been thinking about this all day and what pisses me off the most is that we’ve known this is coming for months. And the data systems to manage this in a fair and reasonable way would be EASY to write; I have an architecture for it in my head and I could probably implement it in 2 months tops, and that means deployed and scalable and ready for service. There are only 300 million or so people in the US who would need a vaccine, there are a finite number of vaccination providers, and the geographical distribution is a solved problem.

Comment

• Well, from everything I read, the Trump admin had zero interest in anything but announcing vaccines to look like heroes. Frankly, he only wanted them if it was an pre-election achievement. They did nothing to create an infrastructure for distribution. I hate him and will never be over it.

Comment

• I am not enjoying my second round of antibiotics very much. I am still on a boat.

I have been stuck in bed for 4 weeks solid.

But! both of my parents now have vax appointments, which I am super happy about. My mother has to go to a big ass stadium and wait in line, but my dad gets to just go to the health dept. I really don't understand the methodology but still!

PROGRESS.

Comment

Working...
                                X