No announcement yet.

Hypochondria as a legitimate hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V! So happy to join your migraine club yay.

Have you ever tried a chiropractor? Since mine is apparently related to my upper neck, I'm considering it.

So far I know I definitely have food triggers -- I'm working down the list of possibles and apparently both caffeine and chocolate are triggers of mine and pickles, gluten, sugar, dairy, anything with vinegar, and corn, and and and. . . .

Comment

• OMG O! Good on a final diagnosis.
      Glad that the female doc was able to finally make sense of your problems. Hopefully you'll be less boaty soon.

Comment

• Yay for actual answers to your issues, even though they're not like GREAT answers. And I totally agree with V that once you figure out what triggers migraines, the management thereafter is actually decent. I am not someone who ever had headaches issues before, but 2020 gave me migraines that would cause nausea and because I didn't have any experience with them, I had to be told that they were migraines and not just regular headaches. Luckily, good ole Excedrin Migraine worked for me, but for the people in my life who have suffered from chronic migraines, Imitrex is their literal god. Like they pray to that bottle on the regular. Migraines are also one of the longer lasting effects of Covid. A lot of people have reported having them for 3-4 months after testing positive and after their other symptoms have disappeared.

I have turned into a straight up supplement junkie in the past year. I went to a naturopath last year and was basically at my wit's end with all the anxiety and mess and was just like, "I'm broken, please fix me." I wanted to avoid meds and told her as much (I'm still probs in need of Concerta or something similar TBH) so she's been working with me over the past 6ish months and now I load up daily on like 8 different supplements that take an entire bottle of water to get down. She told me it would take about 3 months for my body to respond and that wasn't great at the time, but at least it gave me something to look forward to. Now that I'm 6 months into it, I am definitely sleeping better, can focus on tasks for longer, and have more energy in general. I still have occasional insomnia, but I've never been a great sleeper anyway so I've lived around that my entire life. Even getting a solid, straight 6 hours a night feels so much better than the 3-4 I was getting when this all started. Another bonus is that I haven't needed coffee in the afternoon nearly as much.

Comment

• O, I would throw you out of the club if I could.

Have you ever tried a chiropractor? Since mine is apparently related to my upper neck, I'm considering it.
          One time years ago I went to a chiropractor when I had a lower back ache and the adjusting freaked me out, so no, I haven’t. That is a Vanessa-specific issue; YMMV. I have read there is actual science that acupuncture helps with migraines, though. Needles don’t freak me out like the chiropractor did, but I haven’t explored it, because as I said my migraines have been manageable with modern pharmacology.

Another bonus is that I haven't needed coffee in the afternoon nearly as much.
          One thing I did try last year after I had that shitty week-long migraine was to give up caffeine for good. For me it’s been a positive change and I don’t miss it. I don’t know if it’s that, the exercise, the meditation, the therapy, but my anxiety has been better than it’s ever been, even in the middle of the most stressful time.

Comment

• O, I was thinking about your trigger testing, and I am wondering if you are genuinely having separate migraines as opposed to just one long migraine. Before you write off a bunch of foods, you need to make sure you actually have some time without migraine before something triggers. That’s not easy to distinguish, but it feels to me like you might be in what they call status migrainosus (essentially: a migraine that lasts for more than 3 days) and you need to wait till that is broken before you can really see what is triggering new migraines.

Anyway, I may be off base, but I wanted to plant that in your brain.

Comment

• UGH THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE AND ALSO ENTIRELY POSSIBLE.

Yeah, I think you are right, v! It's all been just one looooooong migraine. I have no drugs or anything to make it end, but I did get these today and hope they might help:

Comment

• Are you willing to take drugs to make it end? Because there are things that can break a migraine. For instance, every e.r. Has a “migraine cocktail” that they give people in this situation, there are other prescription drugs, and a steroid pack (what they call a medrol pack) can break a migraine. Things like the glasses will help you in the long run, but first you gotta get yourself out of this. I don’t know of any natural-ish remedies, though; I only know the pharmaceuticals.

Comment

• I'll call my doc on Monday and see what she says. I can't imagine my stomach being able to tolerate a migraine cocktail unless it's the fun fruity umbrella kind. But yeah, 4 months seems like a long time to have a migraine so I need to do something.

Comment

• The one time I went to the er (last summer), their cocktail was an IV of Benadryl and an anti-emetic. That helped. Benadryl via IV is different in how it acts than the swallowed version, I read. Still seemed like a weird combo, but it did make me feel better.

Comment

• No major side effects from the second Pfizer shot. Very sore arm for about 24 hrs and I slept a good amount (not really another Long Nap, though- unfortunately!) but that was all.

Now just waiting for a variants booster, c'mon Pfizer . . .

Comment

• Well - the Ontario lockdown has been extended by two weeks - to May 20. The stay-at-home order has been expanded: school and golf courses closed, church services (including funerals) limited, checkpoints set up at provincial border, police allowed to stop you and check your address and why you not at home.

Heard on the news that Toronto is sending COVID patients to hospitals in this area. And doctors are predicting an infection rate of 18,000/week. Why are people not taking this seriously?

Comment

Working...
                        X