Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vanessa
    replied
    The one time I went to the er (last summer), their cocktail was an IV of Benadryl and an anti-emetic. That helped. Benadryl via IV is different in how it acts than the swallowed version, I read. Still seemed like a weird combo, but it did make me feel better.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I'll call my doc on Monday and see what she says. I can't imagine my stomach being able to tolerate a migraine cocktail unless it's the fun fruity umbrella kind. But yeah, 4 months seems like a long time to have a migraine so I need to do something.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    Are you willing to take drugs to make it end? Because there are things that can break a migraine. For instance, every e.r. Has a “migraine cocktail” that they give people in this situation, there are other prescription drugs, and a steroid pack (what they call a medrol pack) can break a migraine. Things like the glasses will help you in the long run, but first you gotta get yourself out of this. I don’t know of any natural-ish remedies, though; I only know the pharmaceuticals.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    UGH THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE AND ALSO ENTIRELY POSSIBLE.

Yeah, I think you are right, v! It's all been just one looooooong migraine. I have no drugs or anything to make it end, but I did get these today and hope they might help:

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    O, I was thinking about your trigger testing, and I am wondering if you are genuinely having separate migraines as opposed to just one long migraine. Before you write off a bunch of foods, you need to make sure you actually have some time without migraine before something triggers. That’s not easy to distinguish, but it feels to me like you might be in what they call status migrainosus (essentially: a migraine that lasts for more than 3 days) and you need to wait till that is broken before you can really see what is triggering new migraines.

Anyway, I may be off base, but I wanted to plant that in your brain.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    O, I would throw you out of the club if I could.

Have you ever tried a chiropractor? Since mine is apparently related to my upper neck, I'm considering it.
    One time years ago I went to a chiropractor when I had a lower back ache and the adjusting freaked me out, so no, I haven’t. That is a Vanessa-specific issue; YMMV. I have read there is actual science that acupuncture helps with migraines, though. Needles don’t freak me out like the chiropractor did, but I haven’t explored it, because as I said my migraines have been manageable with modern pharmacology.

Another bonus is that I haven't needed coffee in the afternoon nearly as much.
    One thing I did try last year after I had that shitty week-long migraine was to give up caffeine for good. For me it’s been a positive change and I don’t miss it. I don’t know if it’s that, the exercise, the meditation, the therapy, but my anxiety has been better than it’s ever been, even in the middle of the most stressful time.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    Yay for actual answers to your issues, even though they're not like GREAT answers. And I totally agree with V that once you figure out what triggers migraines, the management thereafter is actually decent. I am not someone who ever had headaches issues before, but 2020 gave me migraines that would cause nausea and because I didn't have any experience with them, I had to be told that they were migraines and not just regular headaches. Luckily, good ole Excedrin Migraine worked for me, but for the people in my life who have suffered from chronic migraines, Imitrex is their literal god. Like they pray to that bottle on the regular. Migraines are also one of the longer lasting effects of Covid. A lot of people have reported having them for 3-4 months after testing positive and after their other symptoms have disappeared.

I have turned into a straight up supplement junkie in the past year. I went to a naturopath last year and was basically at my wit's end with all the anxiety and mess and was just like, "I'm broken, please fix me." I wanted to avoid meds and told her as much (I'm still probs in need of Concerta or something similar TBH) so she's been working with me over the past 6ish months and now I load up daily on like 8 different supplements that take an entire bottle of water to get down. She told me it would take about 3 months for my body to respond and that wasn't great at the time, but at least it gave me something to look forward to. Now that I'm 6 months into it, I am definitely sleeping better, can focus on tasks for longer, and have more energy in general. I still have occasional insomnia, but I've never been a great sleeper anyway so I've lived around that my entire life. Even getting a solid, straight 6 hours a night feels so much better than the 3-4 I was getting when this all started. Another bonus is that I haven't needed coffee in the afternoon nearly as much.

Leave a comment:

• Res
    replied
    OMG O! Good on a final diagnosis.
    Glad that the female doc was able to finally make sense of your problems. Hopefully you'll be less boaty soon.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    V! So happy to join your migraine club yay.

Have you ever tried a chiropractor? Since mine is apparently related to my upper neck, I'm considering it.

So far I know I definitely have food triggers -- I'm working down the list of possibles and apparently both caffeine and chocolate are triggers of mine and pickles, gluten, sugar, dairy, anything with vinegar, and corn, and and and. . . .

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Poor, O! This sounds no fun at all. I hope you find something that works for you. *big hugs*

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    O, I am sorry you feel so bad, but I am at least glad that is a diagnosis that makes sense. I have had migraines all my life - I get the aura migraines, and I get occasional vestibular migraines. If a very sharp storm front blows through town, I can be sitting at work and all of a sudden feel super dizzy until the storm passes. It is not super fun, so I feel for you on that one.

What I have found is that my migraines got much worse for one year during my perimenopause and then settled down to where I would have one or two migraines a year. Then about 5 years later, I went through a period where they were bad again, and then 2020 caused them to flair up (I had a bad one in the summer that lasted a solid week until my doc gave me a steroid pack to knock it down). For me it is usually triggered by stress and/or eyestrain, and I have been lucky because if I can take Imitrex as soon as I get the aura, the headache itself usually goes away quickly and I am just left with the post-migraine exhaustion and brain fog. I have also had success with the green light therapy, if you have seen that one. The weird hand clip thing did nothing for me. Mine were never triggered by food consumption, so I haven’t tried the diet restrictions.

The migraine internet is very sad, but do know that for most people it is possible to get migraines to a treatable thing. It’s not an easy or fun process, but even in the last 10 years there have been big advances with the prophylactic drugs. Finding what is triggering it is the hard part - could be weather/stress/eyestrain, like I have, or food, or hormones, or smells.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Oh no! My friend has chronic migraines and other issues and she has botox shot into the back of her head (but not her face? Weird!) to help with them and even has to carry an oxygen tank because of it (doesn't pure oxygen make you high?). She's evolved and is super into edibles now (silver lining?).

Also, she's undertaken some intense therapy during the pandemic. I think she goes 2-3 times a week to uncover trauma (which sucks!) but she said it's actually helping since she read the book The Body Keeps the Score -- it's all about how trauma and stress manifest in your body and give you chronic illnesses. So, yes, mental and physical (whiplash!) youthful traumas can play havoc on YOUR WHOLE SELF in your 40s.

So that's neat. I'm just gonna go eat my feelings about that.

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    That's crazy that y'all are locking down so strict again when everything here is just about opened wide. There are even states that have lifted the mask mandates -- which is obviously stupid and reckless!

mr.o had his second shot of Pfizer yesterday (no side effects yet) and I get mine next week. Hoping for another 28 hr nap to be honest.

I'm struggling right now you guys. My boatyness eased up a tad bit . . still there but causing fewer balance issues, which is good. But! now my dominant symptom is massive turrible no good nasty headaches that I have every single day for hours and hours. And I've become really hyper photosensitive, so being on the computer, watching tv, being in a room with lights on, etc triggers the pain bands around my head to tighten. I'm brain foggy and my vision keeps blurring too. I mean, this pain is baaaaad. You know it's bad when my screen time report says my screen time has gone down 75% in the past two weeks. I mean, the horrors.

So I went to a vestibular PT and after a bunch of diagnostic tests that made me want to rip my brain out of my head she said both of my other docs were wrong and I have vestibular migraines and cervigenic* vertigo. Happens mostly to women in their forties in perimenopause who have a weak vestibular systems**, seems to be related to hormone issues (duh) and triggered by stress*** or viruses****. It's chronic and incurable***** and has to be managed with supplements, therapy, drugs, and an EXTREMELY FUCK AWFUL hella restrictive migraine diet.

* my fucked up upper neck from the whiplash when I was a teen can cause vertigo in my 40s? who knew?

** like if you have always gotten car sick or sea sick and have always had issues spinning or turning fast and can't stand swings or hammocks or roller coasters and I have all of those

*** well that's weird it's not like 2020 was stressful for anyone

**** uh oh

***** shit

******* HERE WE GO AGAIN WHEEEEEEEEE

I guess the only bright side is window shopping for migraine products on Amazon. They've got special glasses! essential oil sticks! ice hats! traction devices! weird plastic things that clamp onto the area on your hand between your thumb and your pointer finger!

. . . AND THIS THING:

Which I assume also comes with like laser vision or mind reading capabilities given the cost.

My PT had me get one of these:

and it makes me look an alien from Doctor Who so that's kinda fun.

The migraine corner of the interwebz is one of the saddest corners, though, so I guess you gotta find your fun where you can.

Leave a comment:

• Res
    replied
    Well - the "emergency brake" has turned into a full lockdown - non-essential stores closed, big box limited to food items. But garden centres are open.

Leave a comment:

• Res
    replied
    hey all - sorry for the delay in posting - holiday weekend with fam.

Re: delay in 2nd dose
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nac...nths-1.5934563
    I am urban Indigenous - despite my health issues I have to wait for the 2nd dose. On-reserve people got their 2nd shot after 2 weeks - so my brother and his son (fireman) both have their shots.

Sunday at midnight Ontario began an "Emergency brake" on opening up. So we are in lockdown #3 for a month. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X