• Show
Clear All

• vanessa
    replied
    I am glad you are doing well, Res.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Awww, Res. I was moved by your family. Your courage is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Res
    replied
    Ophy - - OMG! Glad for the good-ish news about your mom but so pissed she had to go through 4 biopsies to finally get a diagnosis.

Linda - - my heart goes out to your sister.
    Some in my family can be quite self-centred but when they found out my diagnosis they all rallied around as best they could. Even though he is visually impaired and lives on a fixed income one brother is always trying to slip me $20 to "treat" myself, or he is offering to take me out to dinner. The he'll turn around an ask my sister for a few bucks until his pension comes in. His daughter has a family "Sunday dinner" about once a month - - and she apologizes if she cooks food that I normally don't like. My sister has been the one dealing with most of the cancer issues though - - granted she's more traumatized about it than I am. I just thankful my cancer wasn't worse and that I've had a pretty easy time of it.

Update:
    I started radiation treatment the end of August. Five sessions a week (M-F). Today was my 11th session & I met with my Radiation Oncologist. No side effects from radiation (little patch of dry skin on my right shoulder). Apparently, I am still dealing with the chemo! Food tastes normal now - so that's good; but still get constipated and, occasionally, insomnia. She kept going on how my colour is really good - I wanted to tell her it's because I'm Indigenous - our colouring is always good. People pay to look like this - - I'd have to be dead to have bad colouring.
    When I was leaving the hospital parking lot the attendant noticed my wrist tattoo - a dreamcatcher - and said that she doesn't charge First Nations people the $3 parking fee. Score! If I get her for the next 14 sessions I might save enough money to go see a movie and buy popcorn!
    AND! I got hungry today. That never happens. Since I was out I stopped and had a kid's sandwich at a burger place. It will probably hold me until breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    JESUS CHRISTMAS. That's insane that your mom had to fly to be near me to find this out!

ALso, it's insane that you moved to Hurricane Alley! BE SAFE, BB. Hope you are ok!

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I am simultaneously happy for your family on angry on your behalf. What kind of crappy doctors do this to people?

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    I would sue that first doctor for everything she has. However. Great news! I'm so glad for you and your mom!

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I know I've been a tad bit MIA the past few days, but I didn't want anyone to think it's because my mom died! She didn't!

It's just that my new hyper fixation is studying hurricane modeling to figure out if Dorian is going to hit here, and it looks like we are going to evacuate tomorrow just to be safe, and I'm so so so so glad we get to do this two years in a row because living near giant bodies of water that routinely want to MURDER me is working out great!

I'm starting to take it personally.

Anyway, the actual health related news is that my mom went to Chicago to Northwestern for her fourth biopsy last week and they told her that she IS NOT DYING (any faster than she would be without teh cancer). Turns out she's got early stage low grade lymphoma and they can treat it with radiation and pills and she could easily live another decade with it. What the oncologist actually said was that she was more likely to die of a heart attack or stroke (she's had two of each already!) way before the lymphoma gets her. Dunno why it took 4 biopsies and six months to figure that out.

She had already canceled her credit cards, bought a funeral urn, and given away a lot of her stuff and now she wants her stuff back. So I guess evacuating to her house is coming at the right time.

If Dorian wasn't looking at me like . . .

. . . I might be able to finally relax for the first time in 6 months. But noooooo SOMEBODY is determined to throw a Cat 5 sized tantrum, so . . . .

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Lindaaaaa! If youíre youíre going to be proactive anyway, thereís no use in getting the test. Iím so glad your sisterís doing great and your brother-in-law sounds like a real bag of dicks.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    LINDA ILYSM

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    LINDA.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    We're so old and full of adult problems .

Res

Laa, I also have Lynch Syndrome in the family, discovered when my aunt died of bowel cancer at 52 last year. My grandpa died on his 4th bout of bowel cancer in his mid 70s. I've not had the test and neither has my mother. I can feel the judgement but I know myself, if I had the test and it was positive it would be hanging over me always. I would be consumed by it. Because of my family history I can get the extra yearly tests anyway (thank you NHS) so I'm not totally burying my head in the sand.

My younger sister had the gene test last spring and doesn't have the Lynch gene. In September she was diagnosed with a fairly advanced breast cancer. Her son was 7 at the time. She's had such a hard year, a terrible time over Christmas with her chemo, and her daughter and husband and even my mum have been so useless. Actual quotes from my brother in law "You are enjoying the attention" "Thousands of people get cancer" "You have to just get on with things, life goes on". It's honestly amazing that I haven't stabbed him in the face. I might still murder him tbh but my sister is great now, hair growing back , surgery went well, only approx 30% chance of secondary cancers according to the docs. She is milking her survivor status though, I am practically a full time babysitter for my nephew. Literally feel that I can't say no to her and she is loving it.

I miss you gals when I feel my own mortality. You're the funniest people I never met.
    Last edited by Linda; 07-29-2019, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    I am so glad you're doing ok, Res! I am sure you are going to feel much better soon!

Leave a comment:

• ophy
    replied
    I am so so so glad you are doing this your way, Res! I honestly think I would make the same decision that you did.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    So glad you are doing well, Res. That was a tough choice, I am sure, and I am glad you didnít let people guilt you into going against what you want.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Man, Res, I'm so glad you're ok!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X