Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BreezyK
    replied
    Oh Issie, yes. My husband runs the MICU at our hospital in Fairfield County, CT which was hit hard and early and I'm still worried about how he's dealing with all of this. His hospital managed 5x as many patients as usual while Yale managed about 2x their normal number of patients. His hospital is in the Yale health system so they were able to resource share, but the biggest resource they need is personnel and everyone was burnt the hell out by the beginning of June. He worked basically straight through from March 13 until June 5 when numbers tapered off.

I'm so fucking pissed that people saw what was happening here and in NYC and did...essentially nothing. The American people gave the national government a huge gift of three months of time to get their shit together and they just squandered it. It's exactly what we predicted would happen on November 9 2016 and yet here we are.

I'm so scared about this fall and winter and that's in a state where everyone is wearing masks, where we lived through hell and came out on the other side, only for it to probably recur starting in November... when it will be dark all the fucking time. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    He told us it will likely haunt him forever, like legit PTSD after all this is over.
    This is the thing that people who are all “my freedom” are missing - sure they are willing to take their chances and be a “tough” person and whatever, but health care workers are suffering for it and will for the rest of their lives. I hope your brother is able to find some peace with it some day.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Awwwww, Issie I am so sorry.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    Even though Houston's numbers are really bad and I'm still working, my sister and I work in outpatient settings and are largely protected from the real horrors that inpatient staff have to see and deal with on the daily. But my brother is in anesthesia and gets called to intubate positives now because there's a shortage of staff. Sometimes he spends a whole day just doing intubations and sees people die all day long. When I worked on the floor, I maybe heard 1 code get called every week? Maybe every couple of weeks. Sometimes once a month. They're rare, partly because ICUs and ERs don't often call codes on the hospital intercom since the teams are already right there. And in all the years I've worked, I've never seen a person gasping for air right before they died. But ever since their county's numbers exploded, my brother has seen it nearly every day. He told us it will likely haunt him forever, like legit PTSD after all this is over. I don't know how to even deal with people anymore who talk about this like it's the flu. I just want to run them over with my car.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    How fun, Issie! You deserve it! If you do a hotel, you might want to go with Hilton. They partnered with Lysol and Mayo Clinic to make sure everything is disinfected AF.

Our state now has the highest number of cases per capita. Yay. Seriously thinking about indoor gardening and buying another deep freezer.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    I am so glad you got away! I am considering the same. I have blocked a week in August in my work calendar; now I gotta figure out a plan.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    We really stretched the concept of “driving distance”. I mean, I love a good road trip, but it took us over 15 hours to get here and between the parking lot scrub downs after bathroom breaks and two kids who were over it after hour 5, I am just glad that we made it here at all. But cabin it up while you can! We’ve considered splitting the return trip over two days, but don’t really want to stay in a hotel right now either. We’ll see, but we’ll probs end up driving straight through again. Mr. Issie wants to just drive through the night so that we can give the kids theirs baths, stick them in pajamas, and let them sleep through 2/3 of the trip. Meh.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    Oh, and I'm so glad you get to see your family! This whole thing is insane and I know tons of people who are acting like it's not real or they don't care anymore. We're gonna be in even bigger trouble come winter (at least here in the midwest where it gets cold and we're all stuck inside).

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I will look into getting a cabin somewhere. We don't have a family cabin to retreat to. It appears everybody had this same idea in this area though because everyone I know is trying to book a cabin within driving distance and can't find one. Heh.

Leave a comment:

• IssieCol
    replied
    Dude, go somewhere remote. I can not recommend it enough. We're up in the mountains with my parents and my sister's family and my brother's family is coming tomorrow (they all just got test results back on Friday). I haven't seen a person I'm not related to in a week except for the odd stranger we pass on our hikes. Mr Issie and my BIL make store runs for us and we cook every day. The kids run around the property all day long and I've hiked miles and miles every day and come home feeling the good kind of exhausted.

My brother is a doctor in a crazy hot spot (if you've been watching the news, it's the county in Texas that has people waiting 10 hours in the ambulance bays because they have no place to put them in the ERs or ICUs and where they're having to code people in hallways). I am insanely worried for him every day and I am absolutely going to burst into tears when I see him tomorrow for the first time since Christmas. You are not crazy, this virus is the meanest, and people who are living irresponsibly right now are straight DUMB.

Leave a comment:

• isadora
    replied
    I'm especially despondent this week. Literally everyone I know is on vacation or planning one. The days pass very strangely and I'm starting to feel like I'm the crazy one.

And the president is about to bury all the data, so everyone will just go on about their lives while I read about excess deaths (we're likely over 200k dead from COVID, looking at raw data) and slowly go mad.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    It’s official. All I can handle right now/the only things I need are Pinterest and you guys.
    Hard agree. Everything else is making me angry and/or depressed.

Leave a comment:

• LaaLaa
    replied
    Well, all my social media feeds are a churning sea of conspiracy theories, white people still struggling with the idea of systemic racism, and pics of people risking their lives to eat at a Chili’s next to posts about hospitals drowning in patients.

It’s official. All I can handle right now/the only things I need are Pinterest and you guys.
    Last edited by LaaLaa; 07-12-2020, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dada_teacher
    replied
    Yes! That was amazing. Trolling at its finest.

Leave a comment:

• vanessa
    replied
    Tiktok and Kpop stans punked Brad Parscale and I cannot get enough of it. I didn’t watch the entire rally, but I sat on Twitter watching the reactions. You might say that is a waste of a Saturday night, but it gave me so much joy that I don’t care. Same.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X