Future of Madnono

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Madnono

So...we had that issue a few weeks back where the version of vBulletin we have is not compatible with some server upgrades from our hosting company. And I'm not really sure what our options are post November when the server upgrades will no longer be optional.

I emailed diesel this morning and asked her but I figured I'd float it to y'all: Should we close up shop? Roll on to a new forum? There are limited vbulletin options. They want $15/month to host the forum in the cloud. To upgrade to the new version of vbulletin without the cloud it would be $200-$300, I guess?

I'm just not sure what to do, in all honesty.
    6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Ugh.

So our choices are basically a) fund at either level, or b) move somewhere like yuku, I guess?

Not having a forum is not an option!

Comment

Should we close up shop?
      What? No!!

Comment

Let me think in the fetal position for a bit.

Comment

I can help fund whichever way we go. The cloud seems like the right choice, since there will always be another $200 or whatever upgrade, and that way we don't have to worry about it or manage it.

I don't know if there are any free options that don't suck.

Comment

Thanks, v.

Given how all software is going cloudy with endless payments I'm guessing that's the best option. I don't mind paying the bulk of it.
            6 YEAR COMMITMENT TO THE PAIN OF SHIPPING DE. I DONT COMMIT TO MY OWN LIFE AS MUCH DO YOU UNDERSTAND

Comment

If we do the cloud, can we roll our data to the new option?

Comment

I can totes pitch in money too, but I do hope we can keep the threads! Fifteen years of bitchery is too much goodness to lose foevah evah and it would make me so sad. Me and Outkast.

Comment

Yes, I neeeeeed the threads! Also, I'd be happy to help contribute as well.

Comment

Also, if you need technical help, please do ask. I have not done anything with vBulletin in the past, but I can generally figure crap out. I imagine we'll need to backup our database and provide it to them for the hosting if you decide to go cloud.

Comment

I'd be okay if we lost everything and started fresh, but then I'm in a BURN IT ALL DOWN mood.

Comment

I can contribute to whichever option is selected. I'd be sad to lose it all, too.

Comment

Question: What benefits do we get from staying on a paid platform other than lack of banner ads and retention of old threads?

I think there's an argument to be made for taking this opportunity to move to a free forum. Maybe not a *convincing* argument, but an argument nonetheless.

Comment

I can also contribute.

Comment

Let me ask diesel what would be involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X